Thursday, July 12, 2018

MAKE AN EASEL SHAKER CARD WITH CHARLOTTE


I recently decided I would try to challenge myself to make things that are a bit different from what I normally make. This card is a result of that. I’ve made shaker cards before but never a full front one, nor have I ever made an easel card, let alone an easel card that is a shaker! For a bit more fun I decided to make it a circle card. I’d originally intended to just make one video for this project, but then decided to split it into two parts. The first video shows the colouring of the image, and the second video shows the process of creating the card.
After printing the image, which is Image 121 The Fairy, onto some alcohol marker friendly paper, I got on with colouring using my Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers. I based my colours on the sequins I had picked out for my shaker, so lots of yellow tones.The version of this digi that I have doesn’t have lines to separate her outfit from her feet, so I coloured as though the outfit covers her feet too. If you buy the digi now you will find it has a line showing where the trousers end as well as a belt line.Once I’d finished colouring all the elements with my markers I took my white gel pen and added highlights to various areas where the light would hit, which adds interest and shine to the image. I also added white dots where her freckles are. I then moved on to making the card itself.
First I cut a frame of yellow using two Sizzix circle dies. I used the larger of the two circles to cut a piece of acetate, and used Glossy Accents to adhere the acetate to the frame. I cut another piece of yellow with the larger circle to make the back portion of my card, and two circles from white. I would have needed just one circle if I hadn’t cut my image panel too small. As it was smaller than the frame I needed to mount it onto a larger circle to make it work.I made the shaker element by adhering the image panel to one of the larger white circles. I then added foam tape around the edges, poured in my Simon Says Stamp Sunshine sequins along with a few pearlescent flower sequins from my stash, and pressed the acetate and frame over the top. This completed the shaker.Taking the remaining circle of white card I scored it 1cm from the top to create a flap that would adhere to my yellow base circle. I then scored again about halfway down (I did this twice because I wasn’t happy with the positioning the first time) to create the portion for attaching to the shaker element.I added liquid glue to the smaller flap, lined it up with the yellow circle and adhered it into place. I then added more glue onto the area below the other score line to attach to the shaker. The attachment points for each of the non-scored panels are on opposite sides from each other. Check the video if you’re unsure.At this point I realised that I hadn’t stamped a sentiment. Rather than trying to deconstruct the shaker and risking breaking it I decided to add a die cut sentiment. I used the Hello die from Sizzix‘s Friendship Expressions die set and cut it with the same yellow card I’d used for the frame. I then used Glossy Accents to adhere it onto the acetate.After adhering everything together I decided to add a circle of white to my bottom panel to give a place to write. I trimmed a bit off of the top so that it would fit, then adhered it into place.I still needed to create an element that would enable the easel portion of the card to stand. After hunting through my stash I picked a stamp and die combo from Hero arts. I stamped the largest flower from Hero Arts Stamp and Cuts Flowers with Simon Says Stamp Orange Slush ink onto the same yellow card stock then die cut it. I also die cut a second, unstamped version from the same card. I adhered them together to give a slightly dimensional flower, then adhered that to the card base, which completed my card.

This was a fun project to make and whilst I did make some mistakes along the way I feel like I have learnt a lot from the process. I am happy with the finished card and I’m glad I tried my hand at making a shaped shaker easel card. (Try saying that three times fast…) I’m very happy with my colouring too, though I had a bit of trouble with the blending on her skin. The colours all came together really nicely and I definitely think that picking out the sequins first and basing the colours on them was a good decision.
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.