Saturday, August 25, 2018

Real-Time Colouring, blending and Layering Distress Oxides by Charlotte

I was definitely feeling bright and colourful when I created the background for this card. It was somewhat influenced by some other ink blended cards I did recently. I really like the colour combination of these Distress Oxides, and have had a lot of fun playing with them. I don’t have many, but the more I get, the more I want!
After printing the Midsummer Night’s Dream image onto some alcohol marker friendly paper I started by colouring it with my Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers. All the colouring can be seen in the real-time colouring video above, which also shows which colours I used.
Once I had finished colouring the images I used my scissors to fussy cut it out. I also went in with my craft knife to get the fiddly areas. I then used a water based brush tip marker to edge the fussy cut image to give it a more finished look. I somehow managed to mess up both tasks – first I sliced into my image by mistake, and then I was using my brush pen and managed to get black on my donkey’s leg. After some consideration I decided to just go with it as the errors aren’t too obvious.
Next I worked on my background. I used Worn Lipstick, Wild Honey and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Oxides, starting in the bottom right corner and blending out to at the top left. Once I was happy with the blending I spritzed it with water mixed with some Perfect Pearls to lift some of the ink. I then left it to dry.
When I came back to the panel I decided to add some more detail with a stencil. I added the same Distress Oxides through the stencil to give a tone on tone look. I added the ink with a pouncing motion to help get into the more intricate nooks and crannies.
I then removed the stencil and trimmed the panel down a little on each side, before adding my sentiment. I used the Wild Honey ink again to stamp the first two lines of the sentiment which are from Uniko’s Pure Florals: Rose stamp set. I then added the die cut word “heart” (leftover from a previous project), adhering it slightly overlapping my image. Both were attached with Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue.
I used foam tape to attach my panel to the card base with some dimension, and as a final touch I added a few Nuvo Drops in Limoncello.
Despite the mishaps along the way I’m pretty pleased with this card. The background turned out really nicely, and I’m happy with the layout and the colouring. Of course I wish I hadn’t made those mistakes along the way, but that’s just how crafting goes sometimes! I definitely prefer to try to work through mistakes whenever possible, but I know that some people choose to start over instead. What do you prefer to do?
Love,